Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Canada Day

Today we took the kids to sit in front of my grandma's old house to watch the Canada Day Parade. I have been going to this since I was a baby, and it is bitter sweet .... although grandma has been out of her house since 2007, we still go and camp out in front of her house to watch the parade. We are lucky to sneak in on the corner, but we are still being inched out, every year. I was watching the parade in tears this morning as I watched my children laughing, giggling, waving, scrambling for candy, and little Landon, in his little chair enjoying the parade for the 2nd time, but really for the first as he was only a month old last year. I was brought to tears as I realized that the tradition of watching the parade in grandma's house is gone ... has been for a couple years now, but it really hit home this year as grandma is now 98 and has announced she doesn't want to be 100. I also was in tears after the new owner of grandma's house graciously allowed me and the older 2 kids to take a tour of the house and see all the great changes she's made. It is comforting to know that she treasures the house and the spirit of it and has made every effort to maintain that. I offered to email her pictures of the house over the years so she could frame it and hang it in the house, an idea we both loved.

I realized as we were being inched off the grass in front of her house, that our tradition is gone, and perhaps, as I watched the new owners enjoy the parade with their friends and family that it may be time to pass the torch, and accept that there is a new family there now .... in our spot ... but I am taking comfort that the new owner said she is going to adopt grandma's idea of having Canada Day be a day long event and invite friends and family into the house after the parade to continue the celebration.

It's time that I create some new Canada Day traditions with my family. It still brings tears to my eyes, even as I write this, because it was one of the most memorable days of the year for me growing up, and it ties into my grandma and the amazing memories I have of her and the realization that this chapter in my life is closing.

Thanks grandma for the amazing memories you created for me ..... I am sad that my children will not experience the same but I am hereby committed to starting new traditions that will include the hospitality and fun that you emulated so wonderfully.

2 comments:

  1. Truly Touching to read!!! It is hard to part with longtime traditions! In the growing years of my boys ive had to say goodbye to quite a few, But the best part like you saw today is giving way to NEW traditions! Hugs to you and your growing and aging family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Beth, I'm so thrilled you are blogging now, and shared this moment in your family's history. It's so hard to say goodbye to a time filled with warm, loving memories and move on to new chapters, but know that those good times are lodged in your soul, and that even when your Grandma is gone, those feelings and memories will live on through you and your children.

    I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts and musings. Keep writing! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete